[Healeys] leak

Subject: [Healeys] leak
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 20:35:58 +0000 (UTC)
My dad and I just dealt with a similar problem on his '46 Chevy 2-ton truck.
Couldn't get a seal at the rear slave for nothing.

Cylinder was freshly-rebuilt by Apple. Rebuild job was OK, but we ended up
pulling the cylinder (no fun on one of the 4 rear wheels of a 2-ton). Upon
close inspection, Dad found a tiny, hairline crack where the bleeder screw beds
into the cylinder. Either the metal gave out from fatigue or the bleeder had
been overtightened (or both). You could have a similar problem where the brake
line connects or, as you suggested, the flare might be bad (cracked). Resist
the temptation to crank down on the fitting, lest you end up with a similar
crack in the cylinder.

I think you have to pull the cylinder. The brake pipes are available, from the
'usual suspects' or Doug Reid, or you might have enough 'slack' in the pipe to
just re-flare the end of the pipe (if it's a cracked flare).

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA