[Healeys] Thanks was: Looking for Wire Wheels

Subject: [Healeys] Thanks was: Looking for Wire Wheels
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:03:07 -0800
I'm not sure, but I think the size of the 'collars'--the threaded caps that
hold the adapters to the O/D case and the
speedo cable to the adapters--are different between the 4-cyl and 6-cyl cars.
They can't be interchanged.  I suspect
the BN1/2 adapters are just more rare, hence more $$$.

We were baffled by these for awhile, but I finally took a hammer to one.  If
you look at the adapters, they appear to be
sealed.  There is a 'disk' a little larger than a nickel on the side of the
adapter body opposite the collar that
connects the adapter to the O/D, and a smaller one opposite the 'output shaft'
that connects to the speedo cable.  Both
these disks are interference, press-in fits.  You can pop the big one out by
gently tapping the 'input shaft' on the O/D
side while bracing the adapter on a vise.  Then, you can pop the smaller one
out by tapping on the 'output shaft' on the
speedo cable side (assemble in reverse order).

These two disks act as thrust washers for a small spiral gear driven by the
O/D, and a smaller worm gear driven by the
spiral gear which drives the speedo cable (since it's a right angle drive there
are side and end loads; in a way it's
like a spiral/bevel differential, but reversed).  Once apart, clean everything,
grease or oil lightly then reassemble.
You can gently tap the disk-shaped thrust washers/caps back into place.  If
they don't fit too snugly you can punch the
center of the disk a little--like setting a freeze plug--and/or put a little JB
Weld around the edge to make a good seal.

You may bunge up the shafts a little, but you can file out the peined-over
part.  There might be some other pieces in
there so watch for them when disassembling (but I don't recall any).  One of
ours had a lot of wear on one of the
shafts, but we were able to substitute from the donor.  Make sure the gears
mesh easily; I suspect different gear ratios
were used and yours might not be the same.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net