Re: [Healeys] spark plugs for '67 3000 and flooded engine

To: "AH Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] spark plugs for '67 3000 and flooded engine
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:58:24 -0800
Steven:  A Google search came up with an informative article on spark plugs
from ntahc:

http://www.ntahc.org/techtips/sparkplug1.html

The final paragraph says:

"...So what do you choose? Well, if you are concours, use the original spark
plugs. If your car's engine is essentially set up the way that it left the
factory, use the factory recommended plugs. If you have added power
improvements to your car (higher compression ratio, more cam, more carbs,
electronic ignition, multi-spark discharge, more powerful coil), consider
stepping up to the next colder heat range. Added real power? Move two steps
colder. Then, read the plugs after 100 miles, 500 miles and 1,000 miles. If
the plugs are fouling or coated with carbon, move back to the next hotter
plug. If the ceramic is cracked or chalky or if either of the electrodes is
burning away (the gap has increased) go colder...".

The factory recommendation is Champion UN12Y.  I have been using them since
I acquired my Healey (1970) without any problems or known loss of
performance.

Can't help on flooding other than to recommend that you check to make sure
you are getting adequate spark at the plugs and not applying too much choke.
"Experts" will have more recommendations.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031