[Healeys] 100 Engine - restarting follow up.

Subject: [Healeys] 100 Engine - restarting follow up.
From: bertvanbrande at yahoo.com (Bert Van Brande)
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 20:43:55 -0800 (PST)
Happy New Year,

I was off the list early this week/year thanks to a broken
computer. (needed partial restoration)

Follow up on my 100 BN2 engine
re-starting process.  Engine sat for 20 years after a rebuild by the PO
(mythical figure) and a restoration that never finished.  It ran perfectly
fine 8.5 years ago when I bought the car after a check-up and rebuild of
carbs/dist.  Then I disassembled the car and started a full restoration about
6-7 years ago...

Fast forward:  Charlie Hart came by last friday with an
external oil pump.  You might know Charlie from his long yearly road-trip
adventures he posts as BLU HLY or from his technical excellence.  We both live
on the far north side of the SoCal Healey club and I take every opportunity to
learn from him.  The oil pump is made with a 1/2 drill, a love-joy coupler, a
gear pump, a pressure regulator and gauge, tubing and an adaptor that fits on
a spin-on filter adaptor.  We pumped a quart of Valvoline VR1 Racing oil at 40
psi till slow drips came from all the rockers.  Charlie's setup is excellent
for this job.  Now as far as we can tell bearings are lubricated before the
engine actually turns over.  The engine will go in the car later this week.
Photo of the oil pump and engine at: http://www.austin-healey.org/node/4943
Big thanks to Charlie for all his help.

Bert
56 100 BN2