Re: [Healeys] Windshield wiper problem

To: Peter & Veronica <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Windshield wiper problem
From: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 02:11:40 -0800 (PST)
Hi Peter,

Sounds like the same problem- the wiper motor isn't getting
dead-shorted when it goes across the park position.

On the later type wiper
motors the auto-park part doesn't just turn off the 12V when it gets to the
stop position, it has a secondary function which shorts the motor to make sure
it stays put, which requires a double-throw switch. The wiring diagram is here
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=54845

Just had a look at the BN4
wiring and it it has the auto-park feature but doesn't short the motor to
stall it at the parked position. Perhaps there is enough friction in the
system to stop it under all conditions.

The BN4 workshop manual says if
wipers continue to run then the auto park limit switch needs adjusting by
rotating the front housing of the wiper motor. Wiper motor is DR2

Andy.

---
On Tue, 7/2/12, Peter & Veronica <greylinn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> From:
Peter & Veronica <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Windshield
wiper problem
> Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
2012, 10:26 PM
> I have just this interesting feature
> on my V6 BN1. To get
compliance approval, I had to put in 2
> speed wipers (don't ask me why!) I
pinched the 2 speed set
> up from my Series 3 Landrover - sweet! Except that
after I
> turn the wipers on with the screen wet (as you do), when I
> turn
them off, they don't stop! I figure that it's because
> with the lower
friction of the wet screen, the motor's going
> over the limit switch "speed
bump" so the current picks up
> again. I hadn't thought of the grease
softening aspect.
> Strange that it didn't happen in the Landrover (larger

screen area therefore more friction perhaps?)

> Cheers
>
> Peter Linn

Brisbane Oz