Re: [Healeys] Main bearing studs

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Main bearing studs
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 05:58:55 -0800
Although I'm a big threadlocker fan, I don't think I'd use any.  Most
instructions I've read say to just screw the stud
in by hand, maybe with a little oil; they don't even say to torque the stud
down with, say, jamb nuts.  I don't know the
exact reason, but you probably get some tightening when you torque the nuts;
maybe some looseness in the stud is
necessary.  If the stud comes out with the nut no big deal, just makes it
easier to remove a frozen nut.  Want you
definitely don't want to do is score, gouge or otherwise damage the stud if you
plan to reuse it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a master engine builder (only done a couple).

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net