[Healeys] Pinion depth gauge

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Pinion depth gauge
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:56:15 +0000 (UTC)
Someone asked about getting the 'proper' BMC tool for setting up a diff. There
are equivalents--besides the famous hammer--that should work. Here's one
example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900021/

My dad and I set up a 3.54 Lempert r&p using an antique micrometer--you can do
it too. The hardest part will be getting some parts you might need. We set up
pinion depth by sanding down the original spacer (would have been nice to have
a milling machine and know how to use it, or why the hell didn't Austin use the
'crush spacer' type?). We got backlash set by swapping the shims from the side
bearings. You can adjust the pinion pre-load with a beam-type inch-pound torque
wrench, or do it until the pinion just 'snaps back' when rotated.

FWIW, mine whines a little--you can only hear it with the hood up--but I've
heard others who had their diffs 'professionally' installed that theirs does,
too. Dad was a factory rep for Ford and said the early Mustangs had a lot of
problems with noisy diffs; they never could figure out exactly why. Some diffs
are just noisy.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA