[Healeys] First drive... and more.

Subject: [Healeys] First drive... and more.
From: bertvanbrande at yahoo.com (Bert Van Brande)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:34:09 -0800 (PST)
I drove my car around in the neighborhood, without doors but that's a detail.
 What fun!  Private roads here anyway but very steep as I live on a hill.
The suspension seems to settle just a bit, the car is sitting a bit high still
but then again I've only driven 3/4 of a mile.  Patience, young Skywalker!

I installed Kirk Racing headers (Derrington style), a Denis Welch 100m muffler
and a matching DW side exhaust.  I like that throaty sound but I can still
hook up a straight pipe if I get tired it.  The headers needed quite a bit of
fitment and I modified them to take the mechanical throttle linkage and heat
shield.  It looks practically like stock.  The exhaust system has been ceramic
coated, which I hope will help with heat management.
While the manifold is off the car I will also need to have it repaired.  The
threads on one of the stud holes on the flange are stripped.  Anybody success
with BSF Helicoils?  Other ways to do this repair?  I like to keep the
original manifold with the car although it  has quite a bit of rust pitting.

Tomorrow the car goes on a trailer to the painter, an old school painter with
lots of Healey experience.  He will hang the doors, do final fitment of panels
and a few small tasks.  Another coat of primer and then block sanding before
paint.  Then the car will sit for 4 weeks before wet sanding and buffing.

On a completely different note:  On saturday I am driving from Los Angeles to
Dallas, Texas for a new job.  While the car is at the painter's I can
concentrate on the new job, but I'll take my H6 carbs and a rebuild kit and
some tools with me!   Keeps me busy and out of trouble!  I'll be commuting
back and forth monthly, then working from LA for 1-2 weeks before heading
back.  Not sure yet about relocating the family... and the Healey.  I have a
couple months to figure it out.
Bert