[Healeys] Clutch Squeak > bush oiling

Subject: [Healeys] Clutch Squeak > bush oiling
From: bce257 at yahoo.co.nz (Andrew Thorp)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 01:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
A much, much easier method is to place the bush on the end of your thumb to
close off one end and fill it to the brim with oil. Then use your other thumb
to squash into the top of the bush. This creates a little pressure inside and
forces the oil through the bronze matrix. After about three goes of topping up
the oil and squeezing you'll see oil oozing out uniformly around the outside
surface. Done.

Andy.

--- On Mon, 2/4/12, Chris Dimmock

<austin.healey at gmail.com>
healeys at autox.team.net
> An
alternate method for impregnating
> a phosphor bronze bush with oil (if your

wife won't let you boil engine oil on her stove, and the
> local takeaway
won't
> let you put it in their Bain Marie) is to use a vacuum
> cleaner.
use one of those old spray gun attachments you used to get
> with vacuum

cleaners in the 1950's. I sealed up the nozzle end, removed
> the tubes, so
all
> I've got left is a glass bottle with a rubber seal &
> screw top lid,
with a
> vacuum tube attachment on top.
> Fill the glass bottle 1/2 full with
oil (I just use fresh
> engine oil, but not
> really heavy stuff), drop in the
phosphor bronze bush,
> attach the vacuum
> cleaner on suck, and you can watch
the air bubbles come
> right out of the bush
> (and the oil goes in....) It's
a vacuum chamber - all air is
> removed, and it
> doesn't take long. Vacuum
until the bubbles stop. 10 - 20
> mins tops depending
> on bush size.
> If
your wife gets suspicious about you using her vacuum
> cleaner, do it near

the car, with a door open.....
> ;-)
> If anyone wants a pic of the device,
ping me.

1:59 AM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Rich.
> > Transmission out job I am afraid. Renew bush, it
> probably will be
knackered.
> Before fitting heat up to 100 degrees C in oil "au bain
> Marie"
for safety's
> sake, let cool down and leave it immersed for 24 hrs. This

will saturate the
> phosphor bronze bush with oil.
> > Kees Oudesluijs
> > NL
> >
> > Op 1-4-2012 15:31, Michael Salter schreef:
> >> I have been asked for
my thoughts... Anyone got
> ideas other than a clutch
> >> problem?