[Healeys] 100 MPH Club

Subject: [Healeys] 100 MPH Club
From: roberth148 at aol.com (roberth148)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:15:44 -0700
We were returning from the U.S.Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in the early
1960's.
It was late at night and raining on the NE extension of the PA Turnpike.
My 1960 AH 3000 had the original Dunlop tires that were not in greatest
shape.

My Friend was driving and decided to see if the car would really do the
claimed 120 MPH.
He got the car up to an indicated 120 MPH downhill in overdrive and I was
about to reach over and turn off the ignition as the only way to slow him down
when he saw what he thought might be a police car and immediately slowed
down.

He was not the best of drivers and had a number of accidents. He had also been
denied an SCCA competition license due to his poor driving and car handling.
We were glad he failed as we didn't want to be on the track with him. I never
let him drive the car again and I never want to go that fast outside of a race
track.

We met again some years later and he told me he had become a driving
instructor for the Porsche Club.
Wow! I'm not sure what that says about Porsche driverfs.

Bob Humphreys