[Healeys] Early BN1 white wheel wells Resolved possibly very boring!!

Subject: [Healeys] Early BN1 white wheel wells Resolved possibly very boring!!
From: michaelsalter at gmail.com (Michael Salter)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:36:15 -0400
With no one else reporting having encountered white wheel wells I decided
that further research was required. This is a very early car #174 and if
I'm going to spend my time restoring I really want to get it right.
I had surmised that the white in the wheel wells may have been original
because it had been painted directly over the black (primer) frame paint in
the wheel wells. I had done a paint coat sequence check of the outside of
the doors and front fenders and found that they were Healey Blue directly
over grey primer!! (No white)
Today I decided to try to get to the bottom of all this so I selected the
drivers door for more intensive study.
As noted the outer surfaces were Healey Blue over grey primer.applied
directly to the steel.
Inside the doors was Healey Blue over red oxide primer over black (primer)
frame paint!! (Again no white!!)
But the outside latch face of the doors provided the real story. Here we
have a much more interesting sequence of paint layers.
Starting at the steel we have black (primer) frame paint, red oxide primer,
non metallic blue/grey, metallic Healey Blue, grey primer, white, grey
primer, metallic Healey Blue.
My bet is that this car was originally non metallic blue/grey... anyone
care to comment or take a guess as to the sequence of paint procedures.
One hint....The interior door liners have at some stage been removed and
had red leathercloth over the original dark blue.
A second hint. The blue leatherette was still glued in place in the sheet
metal hinge boxes inside the front of the door. The paint under them was
the non metallic blue/grey.
Third hint..read the last paragraph on page 40 of Anderson & Moment.

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=756