[Healeys] More Venting

Subject: [Healeys] More Venting
From: sebring at hotkey.net.au (Joe and Lenore Armour)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 14:59:50 +1000
When Geoff Healey developed the 1965 - 68  streamlined Sprites they were
windtunnel tested for the assessment of drag etc.  This resulted in the
windscreens being slightly modified at the top corners, the screen was
laid back slightly and the high point of the roof line was moved foward
to reduce drag.

As a result of all this technical and calibrated research the Sprites
quite effective.

In 1968 at LeMans the Sprite had approx 115 bhp,  did 150 plus mph  and
averaged 99mph for the 24 hours.   The car was fitted with vents in the
fenders, a rear under-tray and a rear spoiler.

It is said that the body shape would average 30mpg at 100 mph.

I have motored down Mulsanne Straight as a passenger when the Sprite was
pulling 7200rpm in 5th gear.

The message, give Healeys a bit of credit for what they achieved with
what they had.  I wont start on the streamliner 100.4 and 100.6
achievements.