Re: [Healeys] Optima batteries

To: Rich Chrysler <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Optima batteries
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:28:43 +0100
Cc: 'Healeys' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Robert

I have done the same on both of my 100s. It was Rich who gave me the idea.

Fitting can be achieved without making any irreversible changes to the car. Because the Optima battery needs to be held by it base I made a weatherproof ply platform and painted it back. It fits to the car with two countersunk screws that go into the holes vacated by the long hold down rods. Onto this board are two angle clamps that fit over the battery base flanges. One is solidly fixed whilst the other has slots to allow it to be pushed hard against the base of the battery before tightening up. Obviously you need a long positive lead to replace both the battery link and short switch to other original battery link. This can be supported in the original centre 'P' clip.

There is less space on my BN2 because of the Hypoid rear axle but there is still enough clearance to be safe.

The original advantages of the Optima battery are in my opinion well worth having although perhaps more expensive than some other set ups.. That is, no spillage or topping up and a healthy starting current even after a few months non use.

I have in mind using the space left by the second battery to make and fit a wooden fixed tool box but I have yet to do this

Best regards

I f you want to get away from the original twin 6V acid type batteries, then
never mind messing with the two 6V Optimas when you can simply install one
12V Optima on one side and anchor it down suitably. We've fitted this setup
on a number of cars and it works extremely well with plenty of clearance.

Rich

--
John Harper