[Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Adjusting tension steering box
From: <Josef.Eckert@t-systems.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:30:03 +0200
Accept-language: de-DE
Acceptlanguage: de-DE
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Curt, Rich and others
Perhaps my question wasn`t clear enough. I just have the feeling in centre
position my steering box is a bit too tight. Perhaps its just right as it is.
I am just looking for a way to verify, prove, before I am loosing the
adjusting screw and there is no need to do it. Perhaps there is no defined way
to check if its just right or too tight. I just wanted to get some expertise
knowledge how to find out.

The other question is, is it allowed to drive a classic car only occasionally
and not over long distances? Or is it too be denunciated by anybody? I think
the owner has good reasons to do it the one or other way. For me its much more
fun to work, restore a car than driving it later. But that`s me. And I own 5
classic cars, 3 Austin-Healeys, and I can choose which to drive. And I have a
modern car and a trailer.
Here in centre Europe (UK included) its really no fun at all to drive a
classic car along the motorways over long distances. All who know the extreme
heavy traffic here, may understand that its much more convenient to load a
classic on a tailer and take it to the event that way. On motorways its even
dangerous to go with a classic car which cannot cope with modern days traffic
(there are plenty of modern 200+ horsepower cars around and drivers play with
you) . Heavy congestions are really normal around the cities and industrial
zones and we have too many of them. When there is free flow of traffic (that
can happen from time to time, mostly during night) you are an obstacle for
modern cars and even trucks are overtaking or stay extremely close to your
rear bumper - not nice. So no fun to drive a Healey on motorways over longer
distances. Nobody takes care of you in your small classic car. Sorry, but when
spending such a lot of money in a car I do not want to have it damaged in any
way. So I take the easy way. I do not want to be a hero. Hero`s die early.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany