Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle issues

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear Axle issues
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:33:51 -0700
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
This (replacing the seal) isn't a bad job.  Disconnect the driveshaft (duh).
The big nut on the yoke may be difficult
to remove if it's still torqued well (you'll likely be under the car with a big
breaker bar so be careful). Your e-brake
should hold the axles so you can undo the nut.  The yoke is on a splined shaft
so it it's not rusted on should come off
with a little plastic hammer persuasion.  You'll have to dig the old seal out
with a worm or pick or similar (don't
scatch the surface of the seal seat)

Grease the lip of the new seal and tap it in evenly with a drift (a little
silicone on the outside of the seal can't
hurt). Install the seal so the outer edge is even with the inside edge of the
bevel on the inside of the end of the
third member (this way, it rides on the proper machined surface of the yoke).
IIRC the big nut needs to be torqued to
140ft-lbs.

Bob

--