Re: [Healeys] [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] [Shop-talk] Need a new multimeter
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 05:51:20 -0700
Cc: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, Austin Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
On a side note, some automotive diagnostics--checking generator operation, for
instance--require the use of
'old-fashioned' moving coil voltmeters.  As far as I can tell, the cheapos from
HF work fine (don't know where you could
even get a high-quality moving coil VM--eBay, maybe).

Bought a DVM from Radio Shack when I was in school almost 35 years ago.  It
cost $80--a princely sum for a poor college
student--but it helped me learn enough electronics to get my first job after
graduation.  Still have it, and it still
works (a good Fluke, at the time, would have been a couple hundred $ or more).

Bob