Re: [Healeys] Steering column replacement

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering column replacement
From: "Steve Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 13:39:16 -0800
I overhauled my adjustable column on the bench around 5-7 years ago. It
still doesn't leak. Leaking is usually caused by too much play in a worn
bushing.

Removing steering box from the car involved removing the radiator, grille,
steering wheel & hub. Once you get the grill and radiator out of the way
it's not that difficult to rotate the assembly and pull it out through the
radiator opening. I used pickle forks and Kroil to get the tie rods apart.
One of them I had to heat the outer area of the tie rod joint a little with
a propane torch to get it to expand just a little.

I pulled the pittman arm on the bench with a cheap Harbor Freight pittman
puller.

Once you've got it on the bench you can compare the states of the bushings
and lever shafts between your original and the new box.

My shaft was mostly unworn so I got away with installing a new bushing and
two of the new-type thin seals.

I used a brand-new brake hone to hone the bushing to size. It took me about
a half hour of honing to open it up just enough for the shaft to slide
through.

This method won't work with a worn shaft because the the part of the shaft
that's worn to the bushing is smaller in diameter than the outer part - so
the shaft will wobble when inserted in a new bushing sized to the original
diameter of the outer part of the shaft. Whew, hope that was clear.

Hopefully one of your boxes has a good shaft in it. I hear worn shafts can
be built up with plasma and ground back down to spec.

With the overhauled box on the bench, it's easy to set the adjuster screw
tension checking for binding with the pittman arm at the right and left
positions. Don't adjust it with the arm pointed straight ahead as that's the
most-worn position and will cause binding when turning the wheel to either
side.

FWIW.