Re: [Healeys] Coolent leak-------new twist

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolent leak-------new twist
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:36:53 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Tom,

BJ8 style water pumps are not hard to rebuild. However, finding parts
can be difficult especially the water seal which is the part you
need. Depending on the pump bearing shaft type, the bearings may be
hard to find. If they are the sealed type, the ones you have may be fine.

I rebuilt my BT7 water pump which had a fat bearing shaft; which is
not the style shown in the Moss catalog. My water pump has a fat
shaft which requires one to remove the impeller to install a new
water seal. This is how I did it:

I had the pump disassembled at a machine shop but you may be able to
do it yourself. I realized how once I talked to the mechanist. Make a
plate that bolts to all four of the fan blade holes with a welded nut
in the center and a bolt to press off the pulley. Pull out the wire
that is used to position the bearing shaft (fat shaft type) if the
wire is even there. The wire is accessed through the hole where the
water is leaking out. Use a paper clip, steel wire or stainless steel
wire to make a new one. You should be able to push the bearing shaft
out at this point. If not you may need to have it pressed out. I
could push out the fat shaft.

The difficult part is removing and replacing the impeller on the end
of the bearing shaft. Press it off and on very carefully with a tool
that does not pull on the impeller and that seats fully on the
impeller water seal face. You need to fully support the impeller face
while the shaft is pushed out and in. The shaft and impeller may
appear welded together but that is because of all the crud. You may
want to have a machine shop separate the impeller and shaft. Once
disassembled you can have the bearing surface on the impeller
machined ever so slightly to flatten it and take out pits. It is a
poorly cast part so you will never remove all of the pits. Install a
new seal on the shaft and press the impeller back into place.
Reinstall the assembly into the pump body with a little silicon to
better seal where the seal pushes into the cleaned and painted pump
body. Install the retaining clip and then press the pulley back onto
the bearing shaft.

Be sure to note where the pulley is in relation to the crankshaft
pulley so the fan belt is aligned properly. Note how far the shaft
protrudes through the pulley before disassembly. It be checked by
positioning the pump, with gasket, in the engine and using a straight
edge to note how the two pulleys align. Adjust by removing the pump
from the engine and setting it on a firm surface (such as a concrete
floor) with a small socket supporting the bearing shaft. Be certain
it is not pressing against the impeller. Use a large mallet and a
block of wood to force the pulley further onto the shaft if you need to.

Cheers,
John Spaur
'62 BT7