Re: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Paint Code Colors
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:08:13 -0500
I'm not an expert in paint, either, but it is my understanding based on what
I have heard that the ICI numbers have not been useful to people who wanted
to mix paint to a particular color, as opposed to picking a color from an
existing color chip.  What is actually used by painters for the mix is a
"formula" for a particular brand of paint that specifies X number of grams
of pigment A, Y number of grams of pigment B, etc. added to a base color.
That's why the formula varies depending on the brand of paint.  With
computer matching now, scanning a valid sample to be matched produces a
printout of the "formula" to achieve the match, but it's based on pigments
produced by a particular manufacturer.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.  If I were looking for a
"correct" Healey Blue, I think I would at least start with Rich Chrysler's
numbers.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry