Re: [Healeys] Ammeter query in a generator to alternator conversion proj

To: <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ammeter query in a generator to alternator conversion project.
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 03:18:47 +0000
Simon,

The cause is the difference in the way generators and alternators operate and
how their output is regulated.

A generator (or dynamo) produces voltage in a more or less linear flow
dependent on the speed of the armature.
For that reason it produces little energy at low speeds and increases rapidly
until the regulator circuit opens to limit
The output. In other words the voltage, and therefore the rate of charge for
the battery in amps, can vary all over the
Place depending on engine speed and electrical load. Because of that variance
an ammeter is useful for determining the
Condition of charge in the battery.

An alternator (or AC generator), on the other hand, because of it's 3 phase
design produces much more energy at a
Much lower rotor speed. The power curve is very steep and the voltage is
controlled by the use of a Zener diode which cuts
Power to the field to control output voltage at a constant point slightly
above the nominal battery voltage (13-13.8 volts.

Since the alternator voltage is applied constantly any power usage is
recovered almost instantaneously. An ammeter will register the change, but it
will be gone probably before you notice it. For that reason an ammeter (to
detect battery condition is pretty much useless. Most manufacturers, when
switching to alternators, also installed volt meters and called them battery
condition gauges.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 #554

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com