Re: [Healeys] Carb piston springs

To: warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Carb piston springs
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:46:42 -0400
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Gary,

The position of the piston, and thus the needle, is a function of the
vacuum above the piston and the spring.  The vacuum is pulling the
piston up; the spring is pushing down.  The higher the piston, the more
fuel (the cross sectional area of the needle at the jet gets smaller).

So a stiffer spring will require more vacuum to move the piston a given
amount.  So you'll weaken the fuel-air ratio (lean).

"Tuning S.U. Carburetters" by Speed Sports Motorbooks has the following:
        blue    2.5 oz
        red     4.5 oz
        yellow  8.0 oz
        green   12. oz

I don't know if the ounces given is a stiffness (oz/inch) or a preload
at a given height (suspect the latter).

The book also states: "A correct strength of the piston spring will be
one which allows the piston to reach it's maximum travel at the point in
the speed range where maximum power is obtained."

The needle profile would then be used to set the fuel-air ratio.

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 Mk I registrar
http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php