[Healeys] Tip

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1365546638; bh=CYigomLzxUIDsvEgcrl82Y/GGMgngTPj5qB4Yfk2vcM=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:MIME-Version:To:Subject: Content-Type; b=teSf2iMI0LimoWfvv44g5BnUWgpwK/hf8NcJsXsHDQGkt2J+U2kg5yBZbXRexD8BG SUP3hmF3zJViDsQm51tbkRWYcBE79ETUspKJi/9NOix4aaj+gjo1kibxB6O83h+XU0 XfhST/Z3GdTF1fpZKzOnua4ikGEZ6Yy/p+JRuqJZk2D2SyDPBD0n0yn7z/kjpbJLcq oVeHajlVNeX+CqYYUkLehQZyQ98+vmsixfEbi1NJUXGk8iCiUNqEWHHZzrWRoc8dqs +bqyqR6b0fyApLJSnpcPXVD2cPB8RmIWNP1hCo39v0ZmpgEgT85FcIUKgPsGgVJkux uyoofwRAT1zZQ==
Subject: [Healeys] Tip
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 15:30:35 -0700
I might be the last one to figure this out, but just in case there's someone
denser than me on the List ...

Our Armstrong shocks--owners with newfangled tube shocks can hit delete
now--should be periodically checked and topped
up with fluid.  According to shock expert Peter Caldwell, there should be a bit
of head room above the oil level in the
shock.  For years, I've been filling to the top of the hole, or at least until
I could see the fluid level then
'extracting' some of the fluid with a paper towel.  Today, it dawned on me that
I needed some sort of dipstick to
measure the level, so I wouldn't be wasting fluid and, worse yet, making extra
work for myself.  For years, I've been,
uh, appropriating some the the wooden coffee stirrers you see at places like
Starbucks--hey, if you're paying $6 for a
cup of coffee ...--for mixing epoxy.  They're a little long, so if you snap
them into 2 or 3 inch pieces they are the
perfect size for dipsticking the fluid level in the shocks (I suppose
toothpicks would work as well, but the fluid may
be less visible).

Bob