Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Brakes not releasing

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1367250093; bh=W1wJWmmngYL54QZUkbR4UNWU3wb4WjiNn4s92D4PDM8=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=UVwmIAwh5ol2+gYJWZn2zcxandH3Xa0H7OqDagdDdxuPUw7eEzM5yX/j+tMXNzuEO mDDWsOxONlCTyIVWgISKMQPmikU0a/jIBUz7As9UHrY35tFS1p1yoJkth/p+txt5y/ qQmor2z9AlzEoxrxGP5bopRYxho9nQg0FzMPyBIHKj2Jcta9SAaTAQ/L9wPMBMd0wU 18hHxuwwn+6XfUCEt4KOOup5roh3fJmKdDcWGxz9XM+nt8UXdJ54Lkvkb3hRtyjaus imR1sStBSb555ul9xoP4cd9D96vJLXtpsqeV1oYfokOZ53X1/4eRrj5Ljmmxd7nF28 U776HWukZXIkA==
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Brakes not releasing
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:41:33 +0000 (UTC)
Having thought about it a bit more, I'd wager a C-note--Canadian or American
dollars, whichever is worth more today--that the problem is with the seal on
the inner wall of the large vacuum/gas cylinder. I suspect the dry lubricant
has been worn down--or the rubber seal has become brittle or sticky--and this
causes the gas piston to not be able to retract after braking (it does have a
large spring under it). Since your symptoms seemed to have come on gradually
this is logical. Actually, the seal is formed by a leather seal, and the rubber
ring is there to keep pressure on the leather seal.

Usually, the servos fail when the seal on the gas piston shaft--known as a
'gland seal'--becomes brittle and/or breaks causing the servo to suck brake
fluid into the vacuum cylinder (if you're losing brake fluid mysteriously you
may find it in the gas cylinder). For this reason--and general principles--if
you choose to rebuild yourself you should do a full rebuild with a kit (even
though, theoretically, you may be able to get by with just re-coating the
inside of the gas cylinder with a dry lubricant).

I used an older version of this product, and it has worked well for many years:

http://www.associatedindustriesinc.com/store/solid-and-dry-film-lubricants/sandstrom-28a-solid-film-lubricant/

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA