Re: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cool aftermarket stuff accepted in concours
From: "Robert F. Begani" <rfbegani@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 17:55:08 -0400
I agree with Kees.

In 1974 when I acquired my BJ8 I found the Bakelite or whatever polymer the
original black steering wheel was made of had cracks where the spoke met the
wheel.  They got progressively larger as the years when by so I bought a
real leather wheel cover, probably from Moss,  and stitched it to the wheel
very carefully.  So thirty plus years later it has a nice smooth black
leather feel, yet it allows me to grip the wheel easily without gloves,
similar to the very expensive leather covered steering wheels.  Once in a
while I notice the cracks in the Bakelite peaking around the leather at the
spoke and smile because I just am not going to go through the time and
expense to replace with new.  Instead, I drive my Healey several times a
week and enjoy. Oh yes, once a year the leather bound wheel and the seats
get a cleaning and leather restore application.

Bob Begani
BJ8 '67