Re: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost

To: <steveg@abrazosdata.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 02:59:00 +0000
Steve,

The problem is not the water wetter. The problem is running water in the
cooling system without any corrosion inhibitor. It doesn't matter whether the
water is soft or hard you still need corrosion inhibitor in the solution
(universal solvent and all that). You can, of course, buy the stuff separately
at NAPA etc., but the simplest thing is to mix in some anti freeze (corrosion
inhibitor built in, explaining why you didn't have the problem before). I
think the inhibitor in anti freeze is good down to about a 10% concentration.
You will also have the added benefit of an increase in coolant boiling point.
Anti freeze ain't just for cold weather...

Bill Lawrence
BN1#554

> From: steveg@abrazosdata.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 15:20:15 -0800
> Subject: [Healeys] Cooling system filter installation - xpost
>
> Peter Roses and I have been running purified water with water-wetter for a
couple of years. This resulted in us both having to have our radiators
serviced due to many of the tubes being clogged by rust flakes. Neither of us
had a corrosion problem when we were running coolant mixtures.

> In addition to this, there is info online showing Water Wetter deteriorates
after a while into a brownish gunk that can clog things up.

> I decided to install a Tefba cooling system filter at least for a while to
capture any more rust bits still in the block and have pictures of the
flushing results and Tefba install with info on the filter. (No financial
interest)

> http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/coolingsysupgrade
>
> PS - an engineer at Royal Purple told me distilled or ionized purified water
is the most aggressive corrosion agent. We should be using tap water or
filtered drinking water. The minerals protect the engine.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com