Re: [Healeys] French Healey

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] French Healey
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 19:55:34 +0200
Simon,

Bring some snow chains. There is still a fair bit of snow and not all
passes are open yet. L'Iseran and Galibier may not be open at the time,
as may be some others. Be prepared for snow on the high roads this year.
Check:
http://www.infotrafic.com/route.php?region=FRANC&link=cols.php?ALPN
shortly before you set of.

If in trouble in France phone the AA or RAC, which ever you are a member
of, and they will arrange assistance for you in France. Take the
necessary tools and spares with you: generator/alternator, fuses,
points, condenser, coil, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, V belt,
electric wire, duct tape, water/coolant, oil as 20W50 is not available
in most places. Luckily the Healey is an extremely simple machine so any
local garage should be able to fix it. Make sure you carry some spare
fuel. Fuel can be found at most hyper/super markets. Very little along
the roads, beware. Use a TomTom/Garmin etc., it will indicate where to
find them. Sometimes a normal credit/debit card is not accepted, but
Visa nearly works every time. Most are self service without cashier.

Stick to the smaller roads, set your TomTom on "avoid motorway's" or
choose the "shortest route". You will encounter the most beautiful and
surprising places. Plenty of small, cheap hotels (not always indicated
on the TomTom), most with an excellent restaurant, but you have to be
prepared for some disillusions, although this happens only very rarely.

Check: http://www.austin-healey.fr/

You may find some contacts there who can help you out when needed, so
take your I-pad/pod.

Cheers
Kees Oudesluijs
NL