Re: [Healeys] Antifreeze

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Antifreeze
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:56:06 +0200
Use proper coolant, the green stuff. It has the inhibitors/additives
already mixed in together with the antifreeze. Using tap water in a mix
will cause some deposits that may react.
You do have to replace the coolant periodically, say every three years.
When doing so always rinse your engine with clean water, tap water will
do!!, add a can of radiator cleaner, mostly caustic soda, let the engine
run for a while, drain, rinse thoroughly, drain and refill with coolant.
Whatever you have used in the past, you will be amazed about the amount
of sediment that will come out. Probably most of it are old deposits
that have dissolved/come loose, even if you have had your engine
rebuilt. It is nigh impossible to clean out all deposits during a rebuild.
When you start of with a brand new engine, replacing the coolant without
flushing the engine usually suffices. Ever saw a modern, well maintained
car with deposits? I sure never did.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL