Re: [Healeys] Antifreeze

To: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Antifreeze
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:57:17 -0800
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net <healeys@autox.team.net>
Chris,
You must be changing your coolant often enough for the pH to not get too low.

I experienced more corrosion in the last couple of years with water wetter and
purified water compared to the previous 8 years with coolant/purified water
which was essentially nil. There were enough flakes of rust clogging the
radiator tubes to make the car run noticeably hotter.

While the rad was out for service, I did a back flush of the block with water
in through the lower water pump hose attachment and put a woman's stocking on
the upper hose fitting as a filter. 2 or 3 tablespoons of crud showed up in the
stocking along with some more rust bits.

There's a lot of info online in various hotrod forums on how water wetter is no
longer being developed; it can result in a peanut-butter-like goo in the
coolant; the chemist who developed it no longer works for Redline, etc.

These same folks prefer Royal Purple Ice instead of water wetter because it is
evidently a more modern formulation. I was all set to add that to my coolant
except it would have required 2 bottles at $15 each so I said the hell with
that and just went to the coolant/tap water mix with an Australian Tefba
coolant filter for good measure.

--
Steve