Re: [Healeys] Transmission?

To: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Transmission?
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 13:53:26 -0700
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Fred:

As Alan B has said, the overdrive is not releasing, or at least not
releasing immediately.

One thing that can be checked relatively easily:  The operating valve's
bleed hole might be partially blocked or mostly blocked.  Symptoms are:  The
overdrive will hang up for awhile after the switch is moved to the off
position, but if the car sits for awhile - say a few minutes - the overdrive
will release.   You can pull the operating valve from the top and check to
see if there is any debris inside - it's basically a hollow tube.  The bleed
hole is very small - it doesn't take much crud to cause an obstruction.  The
workshop manual describes it's removal quite well, but makes no mention of
the bleed hole.

This happened to a buddy's Healey awhile back - fortunately we diagnosed and
corrected the problem before major damage was done to the one way clutch
inside the overdrive as Alan B has suggested might be the case.

Let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb