Re: [Healeys] Bump stops

To: fredwescoe@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bump stops
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 20:46:48 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Ok, I presume the car is properly supported on jack stands and you
have removed the wheel.

Support the bottom of the spring plate with a jack just enough to
take the weight off of the coil spring. It will lift the car off of
the jack stand but you can insert a shim to take up the distance.
Remember to be careful.

Unbolt the shock arm from the king pin. Loosen or remove the shock
bolts so you can access and remove the bolt under the shock. Assembly
is the reverse of disassembly.

You may only need to loosen the shock enough to remove the offending
bolt and you may not need to unbolt the shock arm from the king pin;
I can't recall if you can get enough clearance by just loosening the
shock mounting bolts.

I know the king pin installation procedure calls for a 2" distance
piece under the shock arm but that is only needed when you are
replacing the lower A-arm bushings.

John Spaur
'62 BT7