Re: [Healeys] Door handles

To: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Door handles
From: john spaur <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net> mail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 00:44:48 -0700
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>
I don't think the order matters. I installed the outside handle first
and have removed it with everything assembled. Same for all of the
inner door mechanical stuff. Mate the striker box to the interior
handle arm and install together. The interior door handle has to be
installed after the door finishing panel. Fabricate a pin from a nail
shank that is not too snug. Wiggle room helps with the installation
and the spring takes up the slack. Make sure the pin will fit through
the escutcheon hole.

The trick to installing the interior handle is to align the most
compressible part of the spiral spring, inside the cup and escutcheon
assembly, with the door handle/peg holes generally facing the door
strike. This allows the use of a 1/4" wide or so lever to twist the
cup and escutcheon apart while using an awl from the other side to
align the holes. Two people would be helpful to hold things. Start
the pin from the compressed side. Once the pin is partially inserted
use a drift pin and hammer to carefully drive it home.

John