Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid
From: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:27:55 -0400
Along with changing brake fluid every few years, we have to have this
discussion every few years!
Seriously though, when I changed to DOT 5 I changed all the rubber
components, and happened to be fitting new brake lines at the time,
so I started with a clean slate. I was very pleased with the result
for a number of years. If you're doing a restoration, the first time
you test your brake system there may be leaks, and there's nothing
more horrible than the paint removing properties on a newly painted
frame. Rich Chrysler was the one who convinced me to go with DOT 5,
and I'm glad I did.
During my restoration, I've had the opportunity to examine all the
brake components after years of DOT 5 use, and I saw no corrosion.
By the way, I always had a good firm pedal, but, since I know that
you can't compress a liquid, I think that it is harder to bleed all
the air out of the silicone fluid, so often there may be a small
amount of air that is giving the impression of compressability.

Stephen, BJ8