Re: [Healeys] How much play in the differential

To: Michael Hartfield <hartfiel@alumni.princeton.edu>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] How much play in the differential
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:59:40 -0400
Not quite sure what you are describing but presuming that there is no
relational free play in the U joints there is usually 5 - 10 degrees of
backlash in the diff.
The"correct" backlash measurement for a particular gear set is etched on the
crown wheel but I've known of those hypoid sets to run perfectly and quietly
with massive amounts of backlash so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Michael S
Still mulling over drilling out the screws in his horns!!!