Re: [Healeys] Sealing wire wheels for use with tubeless tires

To: Jim Richmond <jkrich@gvtc.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Sealing wire wheels for use with tubeless tires
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:53:36 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Brett Miller <bmiller@tspaustin.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Thread-index: vgH1XFOGn3/6qnYLnujcxkBc6JzlJA== s=q20121106; t=1385423617; bh=b8buzxic41W7wP9vDoOybueFvABAb7Hu7tXtuM7mj3g=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=JJCTDwNuGrw+LRkfr+9AcAYegK3Uucm/3sdTvL3ZaUk9fw0xxcRkb+tpCzLAovU1g 3EgkFKvNkjoQj0ltRwU8heCHAl1ATJBvUgHYVLWbYAfLbdcoSOQQjuYX4FzUvUEesP gxGwh3STJVkIlBIxnZpx6XI85zeuAvi+JzbYskd4HxIyCUXgIahjvhWZf4iIfnXlT7 W9PEoDZ3YjlEANPYn24/VGykC8u4ZOXqJ/L370R7pO3qWBazolqG1HBXmq0I5LwQeZ wPQhQf+/sHICbUrftEJdMemlo5+JbDDH3VXNtNwUPqEjB/3bSOM483uBN6x8jNBnTi OyR9FgWj1yMZw==
John Blake did this for me. He tried to get the Dayton people to tell him what
to use for sealer, and they refused so he tried a few and found one that worked
(think it was a urethane). He sealed 4 wheels for me and they don't leak.
Number I have is (831) 465-0617.

Like any other coating, prep is crucial. Probably helps to rough up the area to
be sealed (think John etches, probably with HF acid). The best (only) way to do
it is to spin the wheel--like on a balancer--and spread the sealer like you
would frosting on a cake, pressing it into cavities.

Pros: No heating/chafing issues not uncommon with tubes.
No tubes!
Cons: Leaks can't be fixed with a patch on an innertube--you have to plug (I've
done it many times with no problems)--or, better yet, dismount the tire and
patch inside.
Seal can be damaged when dis/mounting tire.
Have to remove seal and reseal in order to true wheel.

Always wondered about running 'tubeless' tires with tubes. I think possibly
tires meant to run tubeless aren't as smooth on the inside (speculation). All
things considered, I prefer sealed (used to run with tubes).

Bob