Re: [Healeys] into a Thousand Pieces

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] into a Thousand Pieces
From: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:15:55 +1000
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Tom,
Firstly, remove all the self tapping screws that hold anything trim related,
and grind the sharp points off.
Secondly, with the door closed, and your window down, look where your knee on
the door trim side is located.
Hard up against the winder arm??
Mine was. And I have this nasty habit of bracing my knee against the door.
Even when I'm stationary, and "settling in". And flexing my leg horizontally.
I only busted one drivers side windscreen. Sitting on the start line....
So...
1. Grind the screws off.
2. Reposition the window crank handle (from a 'clock rotation' perspective) in
the lowered window position - so it is out of reach of your knee (vertical
forward worked for me), and
3. Put in new nylon runners so the glass doesn't vibrate. And...
4. Flex the other knee and leg muscles, not against the door...
Worked for me...
Best
Chris
Sent from my iPhone

> On 11 Jun 2014, at 5:07 am, Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net> wrote:
>
> Went out the garage this AM---=saw many pieces of safety glass on the
floor----knew what had happened.  The drivers side roll-up window decided to
shatter into many pieces.  This is the second time this has happened.  Once
about 15 years ago--then today.

> I have heard that if you nave a deep scratch that over time this can
happen==who knows?

> I'll be looking around for a good used original---anyone have a left side
original window you don't need..