[Healeys] Smitty speedo - Angle drive

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Smitty speedo - Angle drive
From: "Bluehealey" <bluehealey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:17:37 +0100
Team.

Many thanks for the many prompt responses which universally identify the
Toyota P/n as #83770-30070. I understand this was then superseded by the
later p/n of #83770-22100.

I should explain that I have obtained all of the parts for this conversion
from many and varied sources. I started by finding the important bellhousing
and cross member plate in the back of a car restorer's shop who didn't know
what it was. Since then I have got the gearbox, gearlever, front UJ and
release fork from a vehicle dismantler. The box has been stripped and
checked at Hardy's in Leatherhead (UK) and given a clean bill of health. A
restorer/rodder over here sourced the clutch friction (driven) plate.

Bits still outstanding, other than the angle drive, are:

The prop shaft.

If anyone has any tips regarding the Healey/Toyota prop assembly I would be
grateful. I have a spare big Healey propshaft and the front UJ from the
Toyota. The Toyota UJ has the bearing cups 'peened' over to retain them (no
circlips) so the issues will be how to break it down/reassemble and what
should the overall length be?

The Spigot Bearing

I have a brass slug that purports to be the spigot bearing for the first
motion shaft but I'm not convinced it will do the job effectively as it fits
into the outside face of the flywheel. Perhaps I worry too much.

The Gear Lever position.

The rear mounting assembly for the gear lever. My 'box has the mid-point
version of the three mountings available.  That could be tricky.

The speedo cable.

I have an old Toyota cable that fits the gearbox so getting a special made
up with appropriate ends shouldn't be too difficult.

I hope to get the conversion sorted during the next winter and will document
the learning curve and the installation on my web pages.

For those that worry about these things, the perfect BN4 overdrive box that
will be coming out will be passed on to my BN1 project so it will not be
lost or wasted.

Thanks to all on the list and especially to Mark-JB for his dedication and
commitment to keeping the forum alive and available.

        (______\__1957-BN4__1959 AN5__/______)

                       (_____BlueHealey.com______)