Re: [Healeys] Welch's death

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Welch's death
From: editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 13:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
 The news of the death of Denis Welch is an unbelievable tragedy. The idea
that someone would actually get killed in a vintage racing accident is so
unlikely that we really have to ask what happened. I hope that vintage racing
organizations all over the world are asking for details on Welch's death to
learn whether it might have been prevented by better safety equipment (English
drivers often choose not to equip vintage race cars with modern style roll
bars, and even safety harnesses because they aren't "period"), less aggressive
driving and more active stewardship (English racing has a deserved reputation
for being more aggressive than what we tolerate in the U.S.), bad track
design, or just the luck of the situation.

To have a driver of this level of
experience die in a frequently raced style of race car is just unacceptable.
G.

Gary Anderson
Editor-in-Chief, The Star Magazine
Mercedes-Benz Club of