Re: [Healeys] oil pressure (again)

To: "healeymanjim@hansencc.net" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure (again)
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 19:56:25 -0700
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
For low oil pressure look at the following
Oil pressure relief valve
It might not be sealing or the spring is weak. One hack we used to do was to
drop a short 1/4-20 bolt inside the oil pressure relief valve spring. This
would increase spring tension and boost oil pressure both cold and warm. The
last MG I did this to had in excess of 100 PSI cold after 100K miles.
Don't forget to inspect both the valve AND the mating surface on the block.
You need it to seal. Minor imperfections can be fixed with valve lapping
compound.
Have you inspected the pump and checked clearances?
Lastly plasticaguage the main bearings. Too much clearance = low oil pressure
Good luck
Rick

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 30, 2014, at 19:26, <healeymanjim@hansencc.net> wrote:
>
> still trying to figure out why this bt7 has only about 30 or so pounds of
oil pressure when it first starts and goes down from there.  the engine was
rebuilt and has only about 1000 miles on it.  according to owner, it has
always been that way.  most oil pressure ever seen was about 45 on cold
mornings.  we have eliminated as problem area the filter, rocker arms system,
the pressure relief valve, the indicating system, and oil pump.  i am
beginning to suspect a major leak inside the engine, either from crankshaft
(we are going to plastigage each journal) or possibly a hole in oil gallery
somewhere.  any thing i might be missing?  TIA  hjim

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/richard.ewald@gmail.com