Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel gauge
From: "john" <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:45:58 -0700
That needs to be checked while installing the sender. With the sender out of
the car, the tank depth can be measured and the float range can then be
determined from the measurement. The gauge and sender can then be set up on
a bench to directly read the gauge movement through the range of movement of
the float. You can calibrate the coils to find the best positions for full,
3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and empty. It is time consuming and difficult because the
slightest coil movement will dramatically affect the positions of the gauge
needle; from stuck on full to stuck on empty and often insufficient movement
in-between. Then when you tighten the coil nut it will pull the coil magnet
away from the armature because of the coil plumb issue I mentioned earlier
and the looseness of the coil while calibrating.

Cheers,
John