Re: [Healeys] Dwell angle for standard BN1 100/4

To: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dwell angle for standard BN1 100/4
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:19:17 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>, STEPHEN CUSS <stephen.j.cuss@btinternet.com>
Thread-index: Wl7Tp2im1I4dGHKUEQwcIWK/09Q0UA== s=q20140121; t=1414160358; bh=0ZJAuzaOCw1SwTL3+I6z4zZk+PvS7PJaa7Urqi45E/0=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=IPDaMXTWLHbAeqNEXSpdKXJ5MX5HANmQAZhnksw3nCza0UThTawv4XFmxTj7i3vF0 6TjVhTeBOy84T78lnl2LozwVcPa02PoUPXVp+FSNJThad/7ygG9f96xodPiBXezScF Ii4XUGKdIm0dVquhJbiZKQ+xnb8uM1xGcQyao4UwwbEAy1zKiQesTqUvwepi2ugNjm KdfBQ2uTXlYBGEfpM/rzzBhKAWRcdUkgDy2/QL1jjA3f/JCM/IMNcUe3Lapk9JZzOS 1VhKvwV/qgZ2ZlCz/yzMY9E3qFLnJKiWFFME423sPaw6gDKhrzhhCh244T9wJMl0zE sovRvsPNGQtpQ==
OK, I'll bite. What does distributor dwell have to do with the lift of the cam?
My understanding is dwell angle is basically optimized to provide an optimal
time period to charge the primary circuit in the coil to an optimum value to
produce the best spark from the secondary circuit (at least, within a fairly
narrow range of engine speed). Dwell, in time duration, may be too long at slow
speeds--which is why coils tend to heat up if idling for too long--and too
short at high RPMs (which is one of the primary advantages of some electronic
ignitions--they can keep a constant time duration throughout the range of
engine speeds).

What am I missing?

Bob