Re: [Healeys] Tires AGAIN

To: varley@cosmos.net.au, michaelsalter@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tires AGAIN
From: ATIGHTPROD@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:58:19 -0400
Cc: Healeys@autox.team.net
Full-name: ATIGHTPROD
--===============7669835540393519469==

--part1_53f86.36f93792.424086eb_boundary

I got a job re-capping tires back in the early seventies and we would buy
used casings (old tires), grind the old rubber off of them, put on new
rubber,  place them in molds and bake them at 300 degrees F while inflated with

special tubes and steel rims at 180 lbs of air pressure. My rate of
adjustment  for general use was about 2 per cent. At the same time the tire
store I
worked  for had an adjustment rate of a bit over 8 per cent for brand new
tires.
    We were one of the first to re-cap radials and we  did truck radials
for clients many time four or five times on the same casing.  The one tire
that had the most failures during preparation was Firestone. It got  to the
point that I wouldn't even try one of them for re-capping. I personally  had
them on my own vehicles and never had a problem. So I think storing them in
the dark, under cool conditions and moving them around every few months might
 work. I think tires are our best insurance and yes I did have an old
Michelin  come apart on me while driving down the freeway. Not a fun
experience.
So my  best advice is to inspect your tires often, keep the inflation
correct and never  use Armor All on them. And like you Michael, I'm going to
invest in a set of  these tires to keep in my garage, in the dark and ready to
go
when needed.
Steven Kingsbury
BN1 #598

In a message dated 3/22/2015 12:56:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,