[Healeys] Chassis dimensions

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net> information
Subject: [Healeys] Chassis dimensions
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:51:58 +1000
Hi Guys, one for the restorers out there. During the restoration of my
100, I never really resolved the Healey chassis drawing (
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/healeydraw.html) with my chassis. For
background my chassis was a NOS Austin replacement part with outriggers
and some remains of the inner sills that had been cut back for the hand
built body that was being built on it.
The chassis drawing gives a dimension of 3 inches for the height of the
inner sills above the rails. Here lies the question. Is this dimension
from the flat top face of the rail, or from the top of the chassis rail
raised seam? In the case of my chassis I can confirm that the chassis
outriggers at their outer edges were not level with the chassis top
surface but were level with the raised seam. I followed the drawing and
set the inner sills at 3 inches from the top flat face. I had to cut the
ledge in the outriggers lower to get the inner sills to meet the 3 inch
dimension. I then had lots of trouble getting the front and rear
bulkheads to sit correctly. From my perspective I believe the 3 inch
dimension was originally from the top of the chassis raised seam, what
have others found?
Cheers
Larry Varley
http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/