Re: [Healeys] FW: Oil again

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Oil again
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 19:48:45 +0200
--===============8246594850997577295==
 boundary="------------000404030309010803080403"

--------------000404030309010803080403

As far as I know SG is the highest rating suitable for most classic cars
incl. AH's. They have supposedly the minimum safe zinc content.
Kees Oudesluijs

Bluehealey schreef op 19-6-2015 om 9:04:
> [...]
>>
>> The API code is two letters found on the label. The first letter is
>> either a C, which denotes the oil is intended for use in a
>> compression ignition engine, or an S which denotes it is intended for
>> use in a spark ignition engine.
>>
>> The second letter denotes the type of use intended and follows the
>> development of the internal combustion engine from the most primitive
>> (A) to the most sophisticated (I think they are at O Now). protective
>> amounts of zinc were dropped from the additive package at SM. Any oil
>> before that, or say from SD through SL, still contains zinc.
>>
>> It may be true that zinc is not necessary for engines after the
>> camshaft break-in, but I prefer to be cautious on that score so I
>> look for oil that is SL or earlier. I'll let the more informed and
>> adventurous members conduct that experiment...
>>
>> Some heavy duty oils such as Chevron Delo or Rotella are rated for
>> both compression ignition and for spark ignition service and will
>> show both a C and an S rating. In some cases those oils will still
>> have an SM or later rating.
>>
>> The one oil type I have found that is reliably rated below SM is four
>> stroke motorcycle oil because motorcycles don't have catalysts.
>> Typically it is rated SF or SG. Since the oil has no way of knowing
>> it is being run in an automotive engine and my Healey doesn't know
>> the oil it's spewing is meant for a motorcycle I have been running
>> Castrol 4T in 20W-50 grade quite happily.
>>
>> As for the controversy part, if we start banning contentious topics
>> we soon won't have anything to talk about like most modern college
>> campuses.
>>
>> Bill Lawrence
>> BN1 #554

>> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 06:14:11 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil again
>>
>> We ALWAYS talk about oil and no one seems to have the answer, so we
>> simply keep talking about it.
>> For a change let's talk about politics or religion, two topics which
>> are susceptible to absolute rectitude. Many or most of us do not have
>> the correct answers on either and someone here--perhaps an unknown
>> lurker--may choose to now come forward with his or her enlightenment
>> and reveal it to us.
>>
>> To mix a metaphor, I now listen with a jaundiced eye.
>>
>> Best--Michael Oritt
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 7:45 PM, John Vrugtman <javrugtman@htcnet.org
>>
>>     politics and religion, like water and oil, don't mix.  On the
>>     other hand, oil and Healeys mix very well.
>>     JAV
>>
>>     On 6/12/2015 7:16 PM, Richard Kahn wrote:
>>
>>         I think topics like politics, religion, and oil should be
>>         taboo. There is no best in any of these topics.
>>         Rich Kahn

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5961 / Virusdatabase: 4365/10062 - datum van uitgifte:

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      rating suitable for most classic cars incl. AH's. They have
      supposedly the minimum safe zinc content.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Bluehealey schreef op 19-6-2015 om 9:04:<br>
      cite="mid:98B782A6-7AD6-4756-A678-E1D71C0523D1@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        Alan - from my iPad</div>
        On 19 Jun 2015, at 00:58, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE &lt;<a
          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com";>ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
              <hr id="stopSpelling">From: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:ynotink@msn.com";>ynotink@msn.com</a><br>
                I was up in the Rocky Mountains participating in the
                Glenwood Springs Rallye when it started and frankly I
                wish I still were. However, at the risk of being called
                ignorant, uninformed, commie pinko or whatever I have a
                little information that may be of help in sorting out
                the oil confusion.
                  additive packages which are blended in to tailor them
                  for specific purposes. These generations can be traced
                  by the API codes which are located on the container. </div>
                    first letter is either a C, which denotes the oil is
                    intended for use in a compression ignition engine,
                    or an S which denotes it is intended for use in a
                    spark ignition engine.</span></div>
                  and follows the development of the internal combustion
                  engine from the most primitive (A) to the most
                  sophisticated (I think they are at O Now). protective
                  amounts of zinc were dropped from the additive package
                  at SM. Any oil before that, or say from SD through SL,
                  still contains zinc.</div>
                  engines after the camshaft break-in, but I prefer to
                  be cautious on that score so I look for oil that is SL
                  or earlier. I'll let the more informed and adventurous
                  members conduct that experiment...</div>
                  Rotella are rated for both compression ignition and
                  for spark ignition service and will show both a C and
                  an S rating. In some cases those oils will still have
                  an SM or later rating.</div>
                  rated below SM is four stroke motorcycle oil because
                  motorcycles don't have catalysts. Typically it is
                  rated SF or SG. <span>Since the oil has no way of
                    knowing it is being run in an automotive engine and
                    my Healey doesn't know the oil it's spewing is meant
                    for a motorcycle I have been running Castrol 4T in
                    20W-50 grade quite happily.</span></div>
                  contentious topics we soon won't have anything to talk
                  about like most modern college campuses.</div>
                    <hr id="ecxstopSpelling">From: <a
                      moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";>michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>
                        oil and no one seems to have the answer, so we
                        simply keep talking about it.  </div>
                        talk about politics or religion, two topics
                        which are susceptible to absolute rectitude.
                        Many or most of us do not have the correct
                        answers on either and someone here--perhaps an
                        unknown lurker--may choose to now come forward
                        with his or her enlightenment and reveal it to
                        us.  <br>
                        now listen with a jaundiced eye.</div>
                        at 7:45 PM, John Vrugtman <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            href="mailto:javrugtman@htcnet.org";
                            target="_blank">javrugtman@htcnet.org</a>&gt;</span>
                        wrote:<br>
                            oil, don't mix.  On the other hand, oil and
                            Healeys mix very well.<br>
                            JAV<span><br>
                                wrote:<br>
                                  politics, religion, and oil should be
                                  taboo. There is no best in any of
                                  these topics.<br>
                                  Rich Kahn<br>
                                <fieldset></fieldset>
                          Support <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                            href="http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a
                            moz-do-not-send="true"
                            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                            rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                          Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                            href="http://www.team.net/archive";
                            rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                          Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                            href="http://www.team.net/forums";
                            rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                          <a moz-do-not-send="true"

                            rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt%40gmail.com";
                            rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>

href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
                    Suggested annual donation $12.75
                    Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
                    Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ynotink@msn.com</a></div>
              href="http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a
              moz-do-not-send="true"

      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=us-ascii">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5961 / Virusdatabase: 4365/10062 - datum van
        uitgifte: 06/20/15</p>

--------------000404030309010803080403--