Re: [Healeys] New post on my Blog

To: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] New post on my Blog
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:59:19 -0400
Cc: Jim Smalley <jimsmalley@comcast.net>, Kent Lacy <hklacy@verizon.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>, Roger Moment <rmoment@comcast.net>, Randy Hicks <randyhicks@me.com>, John Hodgman <carolhodgman@gmail.com>

--089e0160a38a5fb7d9051807ead4

Hi Curt...thanks for your comments, very much appreciated.
I've made some comments below in blue.

- The phenolic plate on the generator terminals is interesting.  I've seen
this on other British cars but not the 100s.  As you state, possibly
discarded on most cars over the years. This should be something that is
either easy to reproduce, or possibly already reproduced for other cars? Ye=
s,
I managed to f nd some material on eBay and have made one for #174. If
anyone needs more information I have dimensions and extra material.

- The tag on the wiring harness is something that I believe we were aware
of, but I'll have to check. I had never seen mention of it previously I
would love to know what was on the tag :-)

- The handbrake lever chrome is the same on my BN1, #7197 built in Jan.
'55.  Were the levers ever fully polished? If so, when? I have several
later hand brake levers and they all seem to be polished through their full
length or at the least the border between polished and satin is much less
distinct.

- The BSF chrome half nut for the shift knob, while obscure was definitely
known.  Once again something that is relatively easy to reproduce with a
standard BSF nut. I have machined up a few extras that are out for chrome
at the moment ...should have them back on Friday.

- Regarding the vent duct hose, I recently acquired a 4" hose from a vendor
almost exactly like the one in your photo. I'll get you details and photos
when I'm home.  It may have been the Le Mans cold air box hose from Tom's
Imports....

http://www.tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=3D9&new=3D1
That sure looks like the same stuff. I will have to get hold of Tom's

- I knew that the top two long cheese head screws for the horns were plain
zinc plated, but did not remember if the short horn ring screws were
painted or not.  I'll check my two NOS horns.
Certainly no sign of their ever having been painted on this car.

- I've seen the rubber terminal base for the low tension lead before and
wonder if it was replaced by the white plastic one at some time.  The
rubber sleeve on the low tension lead is some thing that is easily made.
Once again I'll check my original harness, and then see if Rhode Island
wiring knows of this detail.
Yes i had seen the black base previously but the only one I had crumbled to
lumps as soon as i tried to remove it from the distributor. If you ever
come across one spare please keep me in mind.

- Notch on bottom RH inner sill for the pedal shaft...  This is a new on on
me. Me too!!

- Bonnet latch parts paints/plated seem to be consistent with what are
currently in the Guidelines except for the bonnet slide latch which did not
appear to be plated on my car. The guidelines indicate that the pin and
spring cup are "plain steel" something that I have never seen.
I have several of the sliding plates from both 4's and 6's and they are all
plated although the guidelines indicate that they should be plain steel.

- The fuel line and brass nut in the boot painted black is well documented,
and should already be in the Guidelines.
The guidelines indicate that a CU plated steel line was used...no mention
of black paint that I can find.

- The seat runner reinforcement plates seem to be unique too early cars.
Interesting detail. I had never seen this style of attachment previously.
It appeared that there were just nuts and washers on studs. A little hard
to tell under the undercoat.

- So no turn buttons on the scuttle of this early BN1?  Does this car have
its original Tonneau cover?  Photos? I have some good shots of the tonneau
and will do a post on it soon as possible

- The 10-32 pan head screws that secure the splash apron are well
documented and as far as I remember, the outer most two always had their
heads inside the front wings, reversed from the others.  This I thought was
documented in the Guidelines. Again as far as i can find the orientation of
the outer screws is not mentioned in the guidelines. We will have to
remember to note these changes for 2016.

- The harness clip under the dash could have been painted or plated.  Maybe
just an apprentice not painting that piece on that day? Can never get good
apprentices!!!

- The poor panel alignment is something we'll need to document and
consider.  I have seen this on several original cars..

- The boot seal lid is also interesting... What did you do in #174?  I have
installed a regular 100 seal into the shroud channel to replicate what I
found as well as i can. I will keep my eyes open for a material that is
closer to what was on the car photographed.
 Also, I noticed that the nuts for the chrome boot hinges were an all metal
stiff lock type.  On my car they were "Nyloc" nuts from new. unfortunately
the boot hinges were missing from #74 when I got it...in fact the entire
lid was missing...I will have to see if i can find some all steel ones I
think.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> It is interesting, and I had often thought on the early cars that they
>> had four special nuts welded to small reinforcement plates for the early
>> BN1 seats to attach to, but it looks like six standard nuts under a
>> reinforcement plate instead.  Are they welded to the reinforcement plate=
,
>> or are they loose?
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com=
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This will be of particular interest to those involved in the restoratio=
>>> of early 100s.
>>> *http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D1430
>>> <http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D1430>*
>>>
>>> =E2=80=8BMichael S
>>> BN1 #174=E2=80=8B
>>>
>>> *If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--=20
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--089e0160a38a5fb7d9051807ead4

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Curt...thanks for your comments, very =
much appreciated.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-famil=
y:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I&#39;ve made some comments bel=
 The phenolic plate on the generator terminals is interesting.=C2=A0 I&#39;=
ve=20
seen this on other British cars but not the 100s.=C2=A0 As you state,=20
possibly discarded on most cars over the years. This should be something
 that is either easy to reproduce, or possibly already reproduced for=20
other cars? <font color=3D"#0000ff">Yes, I managed to f nd some material on=
 eBay and have made one for #174. If anyone needs more information I have d=
 is something that I believe we were aware of, but I&#39;ll have to check. =
ome is the same on my BN1, #7197 built in Jan. &#39;55.=C2=A0 Were the leve=
rs ever fully polished? If so, when? <span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,255)">I h=
ave several later hand brake levers and they all seem to be polished throug=
h their full length or at the least the border between polished and satin i=
 The BSF chrome half nut for the shift knob, while obscure was=20
definitely known.=C2=A0 Once again something that is relatively easy to=20
reproduce with a standard BSF nut. <font color=3D"#0000ff">I have machined =
up a few extras that are out for chrome at the moment ...should have them b=
the vent duct hose, I recently acquired a 4&quot; hose from a vendor almost=
=20
exactly like the one in your photo. I&#39;ll get you details and photos whe=
 I&#39;m home.=C2=A0 It may have been the Le Mans cold air box hose from To=
m&#39;s=20
mily:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a href=3D"http://www.toms=
import.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=3D9&amp;new=3D1" target=3D"_blank">http=
://www.tomsimport.com/new/parts/parts.asp?sect=3D9&amp;new=3D1</a></span></=
 I knew that the top two long cheese head screws for the horns were=20
plain zinc plated, but did not remember if the short horn ring screws=20
font color=3D"#0000ff">Certainly no sign of their ever having been painted =
I&#39;ve seen the rubber terminal base for the low tension lead before and=
=20
wonder if it was replaced by the white plastic one at some time.=C2=A0 The=
=20
rubber sleeve on the low tension lead is some thing that is easily=20
made.=C2=A0 Once again I&#39;ll check my original harness, and then see if =
Rhode=20
es i had seen the black base previously but the only one I had crumbled to =
lumps as soon as i tried to remove it from the distributor. If you ever com=
div>- Notch on bottom RH inner sill for the pedal shaft...=C2=A0 This is a =
 Bonnet latch parts paints/plated seem to be consistent with what are=20
currently in the Guidelines except for the bonnet slide latch which did=20
not appear to be plated on my car. <font color=3D"#0000ff">The guidelines i=
ndicate that the pin and spring cup are &quot;plain steel&quot; something t=
5)">I have several of the sliding plates from both 4&#39;s and 6&#39;s and =
they are all plated although the guidelines indicate that they should be pl=
t in the boot painted black is well documented, and should already be in th=
 that a CU plated steel line was used...no mention of black paint that I ca=
 plates seem to be unique too early cars.=C2=A0 Interesting detail. <font c=
olor=3D"#0000ff">I had never seen this style of attachment previously. It a=
ppeared that there were just nuts and washers on studs. A little hard to te=
e scuttle of this early BN1?=C2=A0 Does this car have its original Tonneau =
cover?=C2=A0 Photos?<span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,255)"> I have some good sh=
ots of the tonneau and will do a post on it soon as possible</span><br></di=
 The 10-32 pan head screws that secure the splash apron are well=20
documented and as far as I remember, the outer most two always had their
 heads inside the front wings, reversed from the others.=C2=A0 This I thoug=
ht
 was documented in the Guidelines. <font color=3D"#0000ff">Again as far as =
i can find the orientation of the outer screws is not mentioned in the guid=
elines. We will have to remember to note these changes for 2016.</font><br>=
under the dash could have been painted or plated.=C2=A0 Maybe just an=20
apprentice not painting that piece on that day? <font color=3D"#0000ff">Can=
ignment is something we&#39;ll need to document and consider.=C2=A0 <span s=
tyle=3D"color:rgb(0,0,255)">I have seen this on several original cars..</sp=
 The boot seal lid is also interesting... What did you do in #174?=C2=A0 <f=
ont color=3D"#0000ff">I have installed a regular 100 seal into the shroud c=
hannel to replicate what I found as well as i can. I will keep my eyes open=
 for a material that is closer to what was on the car photographed.<br></fo=
nt>=C2=A0Also, I noticed that the nuts for the chrome boot hinges were an a=
ll=20
metal stiff lock type.=C2=A0 On my car they were &quot;Nyloc&quot; nuts fro=
m new. <font color=3D"#0000ff">unfortunately the boot hinges were missing f=
rom #74 when I got it...in fact the entire lid was missing...I will have to=
div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jun 8, 201=
5 at 3:40 PM, Curtis Arndt <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cnaarndt=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
r><br></div>- The phenolic plate on the generator terminals is interesting.=
=C2=A0 I&#39;ve seen this on other British cars but not the 100s.=C2=A0 As =
you state, possibly discarded on most cars over the years. This should be s=
omething that is either easy to reproduce, or possibly already reproduced f=
he handbrake lever chrome is the same on my BN1, #7197 built in Jan. &#39;5=
he BSF chrome half nut for the shift knob, while obscure was definitely kno=
wn.=C2=A0 Once again something that is relatively easy to reproduce with a =
recently acquired a 4&quot; hose from a vendor almost exactly like the one =
in your photo. I&#39;ll get you details and photos when I&#39;m home.=C2=A0=
 It may have been the Le Mans cold air box hose from Tom&#39;s Imports....<=
br><br><font size=3D"2"><span style=3D"line-height:115%;font-family:&quot;C=
alibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a href=3D"http://www.tomsimport.com/n=
ew/parts/parts.asp?sect=3D9&amp;new=3D1" target=3D"_blank">http://www.tomsi=
 were plain zinc plated, but did not remember if the short horn ring screws=
div>- I&#39;ve seen the rubber terminal base for the low tension lead befor=
e and wonder if it was replaced by the white plastic one at some time.=C2=
=A0 The rubber sleeve on the low tension lead is some thing that is easily =
made.=C2=A0 Once again I&#39;ll check my original harness, and then see if =
om RH inner sill for the pedal shaft...=C2=A0 This is a new on on me.<br><b=
r></div><div>- Bonnet latch parts paints/plated seem to be consistent with =
what are currently in the Guidelines except for the bonnet slide latch whic=
 fuel line and brass nut in the boot painted black is well documented, and =
inforcement plates seem to be unique too early cars.=C2=A0 Interesting deta=
?=C2=A0 Does this car have its original Tonneau cover?=C2=A0 Photos?<br></d=
pron are well documented and as far as I remember, the outer most two alway=
s had their heads inside the front wings, reversed from the others.=C2=A0 T=
ness clip under the dash could have been painted or plated.=C2=A0 Maybe jus=
.. What did you do in #174?=C2=A0 Also, I noticed that the nuts for the chr=
ome boot hinges were an all metal stiff lock type.=C2=A0 On my car they wer=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Alan Seigrist=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,=
204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">It is interesting, and I had of=
ten thought on the early cars that they had four special nuts welded to sma=
ll reinforcement plates for the early BN1 seats to attach to, but it looks =
like six standard nuts under a reinforcement plate instead.=C2=A0 Are they =
v><div>On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Michael Salter <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">michaelsalte=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
y:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">This will be of particular inte=
rest to those involved in the restoration of early 100s.<br><b><a href=3D"h=
ttp://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=3D1430" target=3D"_blank">http://www.ne=
e=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">=E2=80=8BMichael=
 S<br></div><div style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:sm=

yle=3D"color:black">If you can&#39;t fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got a=

--089e0160a38a5fb7d9051807ead4--