Re: [Healeys] Let's talk oil some more..

To: frogeye@porterscustom.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Let's talk oil some more..
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 11:05:27 -0400

------=_Part_235105_1903103290.1438700727715

Dave,
Sorry, I was not very clear. I intended to draw a distinction between synthetic
& "natural" oils vs. oils of any type with & without adequate ZDDP.  To say it
another way,
Regardless of the type of oil (synthetic or natural) it is the lack of adequate
ZDDP that may have contributed to the failure of the tappet/cam. So, it is not
synthetic oil that is the cause of the failure.

Some additional  possible causes of the failure, in no particular order & by no
means a complete list:
Lack of proper assembly lubrication on the cam & tappet
In adequate initial cam/tappett break in.
re-using old tappets &/or cam (Not applicable in your case because you stated
new tappets & cam were installed)
defective new tappets - personal experience - I had a rebuilt TR3 engine
tappet/cam fail. My engine rebuilder blamed the new tappets because they did
not have any crown on their mating surface. I do not know if that was the
actual cause but we purchased new ones with a crowned surface & a new cam & did
not have the problem reoccur.
Improper inadequate hardening of the tappet/cam surfaces.
Using incorrect oil viscosity for the application.

Gary Hodson

From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>

 Gary,
  Curious how you arrived at that conclusion ("least likely") given all the
recent warnings due to reformulation of so many oils...