Re: [Healeys] Headlamp switch

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Headlamp switch
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 05:40:04 -0700
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.1.0 s=q20140121; t=1443703201; bh=i0jZs1ipZxu/9vcZJQWyr/Lqy52dWN9VfwR176BQsKA=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=MzBJ0HdDvhV7ogHYZTNbz9Gmh3sxfXQ5+wrMgXKkb8GfTM82FLXYTNDaK2Pm+Xk6G AF1nYAw2XgBV4ct9k4fz1Kf6IsNEPe5ranSJnHANxgn2pYHUUoNI6QOQy2gVz1O1It dXC1w9dljx/O9D78nLtz7xRiPpAAPWGz3gmcVSrQrL5s+A11swk/Kie1uYAryHQrz6 AlLEPPNOld74sGXWLPRASm+KpglcnXL0KxYYMhXCG423eXVMDKJngGEh1bRlOwy8VZ tEm6cclSQAd3mIOT1w5kiafbtywKmBmR57hmMOAHMt+4hIwzAVxBXKWNpjDdAoKXfW 5kikkhh61qkgw==
--===============5637538560287854053==
 boundary="------------070400030801060805080105"

--------------070400030801060805080105

Not a bad idea, but not sure it's necessary.  My BJ8 has almost 190K
miles and the only switch that has ever failed--I've owned the car since
64K miles--was the O/D switch (once, and not surprising, as it gets used
the most).  The O/D relay can be problematic, but there's no practical
way to service it (you can carefully open up the box and file the points
in a pinch, but doubt you could do it more than a couple times without
breaking some of the tangs that hold the cover).

One switch and one relay failure in 190K miles; dang that Lucas stuff is
terrible.

On 10/1/2015 3:55 AM, Oudesluys wrote:
> Forgot to mention to clean out old switches by injecting plenty of
> WD40, operating them say 20 times and then rinse them out as well as
> possible with WD40.
> I do this on a regular bases, say once every 5 years and hardly ever
> have any switch problems
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 1-10-2015 om 9:38 schreef Oudesluys:
>> It may have been the switch but as the wiring harness was replaced
>> recently it may have been a loose connection.
>> Inspect the loom carefully for molten/damaged wires along the line
>> especially when a bundle of wires are wrapped together.
>> It is always advisable to use these old switches for operating a
>> relay that in turn will switch the headlights. The same goes for any
>> items using a fair bit of electricity, blower motor, windscreen
>> wipers, horns etc.
>> Kees Oudesluijs
>>

>> Op 1-10-2015 om 6:48 schreef Ross:
>>>
>>> Gents
>>>
>>> On a recent outing I noticed smoke emanating from under the dash
>>> when the headlamps were switched on. My 13 year old son thought we
>>> were going up in flames and decided to walk home. With the lights
>>> off no more smoke or burnt plastic smell occurred and I easily beat
>>> my son home. I disconnected the what was left of the two red wires,
>>> no damage to any other wires. The switch is the original Lucas unit
>>> for a 1958 100-Six. Should I assume that it was the switch that
>>> failed or should I be looking for something else. The harness was
>>> replaced during the restoration but the switches were kept.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Ross Maylor

--------------070400030801060805080105

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Not a bad idea, but not sure it's necessary.  My BJ8 has almost 190K
    miles and the only switch that has ever failed--I've owned the car
    since 64K miles--was the O/D switch (once, and not surprising, as it
    gets used the most).  The O/D relay can be problematic, but there's
    no practical way to service it (you can carefully open up the box
    and file the points in a pinch, but doubt you could do it more than
    a couple times without breaking some of the tangs that hold the
    cover).<br>
    One switch and one relay failure in 190K miles; dang that Lucas
    stuff is terrible.<br>
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
        switches by injecting plenty of WD40, operating them say 20
        times and then rinse them out as well as possible with WD40.<br>
        I do this on a regular bases, say once every 5 years and hardly
        ever have any switch problems<br>
        Kees Oudesluijs<br>
        Op 1-10-2015 om 9:38 schreef Oudesluys:<br>
          charset=windows-1252">
          the wiring harness was replaced recently it may have been a
          loose connection.<br>
          Inspect the loom carefully for molten/damaged wires along the
          line especially when a bundle of wires are wrapped together.<br>
          It is always advisable to use these old switches for operating
          a relay that in turn will switch the headlights. The same goes
          for any items using a fair bit of electricity, blower motor,
          windscreen wipers, horns etc.<br>
          Kees Oudesluijs<br>
          Op 1-10-2015 om 6:48 schreef Ross:<br>
          type="cite">
            medium)">
              emanating from under the dash when the headlamps were
              switched on. My 13 year old son thought we were going up
              in flames and decided to walk home. With the lights off no
              more smoke or burnt plastic smell occurred and I easily
              beat my son home. I disconnected the what was left of the
              two red wires, no damage to any other wires. The switch is
              the original Lucas unit for a 1958 100-Six. Should I
              assume that it was the switch that failed or should I be
              looking for something else. The harness was replaced
              during the restoration but the switches were kept.</p>

--------------070400030801060805080105--