Re: [Healeys] Suspension bushings

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Suspension bushings
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:30:27 +0200
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
--===============8748992012919469087==
 boundary="------------020104060304020403070206"

--------------020104060304020403070206

PU bushes do not twist, they rotate around the centre bolt/bush which is
usually stainless steel or galvanised steel. The latter can rust if
neglected leading to premature wear/failure.
That is why lubrication (and maintainance) is necessary
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 21-10-2015 om 20:49 schreef Bob Spidell:
> Which reminds me of something I've wondered about:  Since the
> original, steel/rubber bushings were 'locked' in place and twisted
> with the A-arm movement should PU/nylon bushings be lubricated  (which
> would defeat the purpose of having the bushings twist with suspension
> travel?

> The standard PU bushes are fine. When fitting they have to be
> lubricated profusely. There should be no fear of cracking etc. They
> may be a bit harsher, but new rubber bushes would be as well. The
> harder varieties are more for track use and may be a bit to harsh for
> everyday use.
> If you are afraid of cracking fit softer PU or rubber bushes to the
> shock absorbers. Keep the PU bushes lubed regularly with silicone
> lubricant, that will keep the squeaking and groaning at bay.
> It will make the handling a bit sharper, but do not expect miracles.
>
> Kees Oudesluijs
>

> Op 21-10-2015 om 16:12 schreef Mitch:
>
>     Hello list,
>     I would like to hear the collective wisdom.............on
>     suspension bushings
>     About a year ago I bought all the bushes  (SuperPro brand) to
>     rebuild my rear suspension........I am getting ready to install
>     them soon...... I was also going to order my front suspension too
>     from (SuperPro)   BUT, I did a little reading last night
>     ....Michael Salter's site,etc,etc.    Now I am not so sure about
>     poly urethane bushes verses  rubber.......The SuperPro bushes I
>     bought already were expensive...........but its a fair job to
>     replace them....only to have a harse ride, sqeaks ,groans, cracked
>     frame etc,etc,
>     When I bought the SuperPro bushes ....someone do not remember who
>     told me they were the best....so I bought them
>     So what is the BEST bushes and who sells them?? will the SuperPro
>     be alright for the rear? or not?
>     Thanks for any help
>     Mitchell
>     1966 BJ8
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6172 / Virusdatabase: 4450/10861 - datum van uitgifte:
> 10/21/15

--------------020104060304020403070206

  <head>
  </head>
      around the centre bolt/bush which is usually stainless steel or
      galvanised steel. The latter can rust if neglected leading to
      premature wear/failure.<br>
      That is why lubrication (and maintainance) is necessary<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 21-10-2015 om 20:49 schreef Bob Spidell:<br>
      cite="mid:473759676.11426092.1445453362971.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net"
      type="cite">
          the original, steel/rubber bushings were 'locked' in place and
          twisted with the A-arm movement should PU/nylon bushings be
          lubricated  (which would defeat the purpose of having the
          bushings twist with suspension travel?<br>
        <hr id="zwchr">
          font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family:
          Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt;"><br>
            When fitting they have to be lubricated profusely. There
            should be no fear of cracking etc. They may be a bit
            harsher, but new rubber bushes would be as well. The harder
            varieties are more for track use and may be a bit to harsh
            for everyday use.<br>
            If you are afraid of cracking fit softer PU or rubber bushes
            to the shock absorbers. Keep the PU bushes lubed regularly
            with silicone lubricant, that will keep the squeaking and
            groaning at bay.<br>
            It will make the handling a bit sharper, but do not expect
            miracles.<br>
            Kees Oudesluijs<br>
            Op 21-10-2015 om 16:12 schreef Mitch:<br>

cite="mid:13381348.3991090.1445436754830.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net">
                wisdom.............on suspension bushings</div>
                brand) to rebuild my rear suspension........I am getting
                ready to install them soon...... I was also going to
                order my front suspension too from (SuperPro)   BUT, I
                did a little reading last night  ....Michael Salter's
                site,etc,etc.    Now I am not so sure about poly
                urethane bushes verses  rubber.......The SuperPro bushes
                I bought already were expensive...........but its a fair
                job to replace them....only to have a harse ride, sqeaks
                ,groans, cracked frame etc,etc,  </div>
                remember who told me they were the best....so I bought
                them</div>
                will the SuperPro be alright for the rear? or not?</div>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6172 / Virusdatabase: 4450/10861 - datum van
        uitgifte: 10/21/15</p>

--------------020104060304020403070206--