Re: [Healeys] troubleshooting rebuilt Girling BJ8 brake servo

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] troubleshooting rebuilt Girling BJ8 brake servo
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:10:40 -0700
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.1.0 s=q20140121; t=1445476237; bh=7lYKZqKt36i29PrrearW+bfZPZvihgblcIrtwosWctk=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=pjt/jTxTK109ckjj6kauKtexr1vPqWAgmVS8RNc+KJpmjafJ8ugRQVcjDJJTKMc5I Tj5yVCATnoN/WoHE8ARltS6uDdovMLcJ3TtWjm69jH8FSqfVnpmX9jy3VdpHMYRiIb mEIcA6ZzdkjIsbCM1HTg1FvgEoXGH2yBMZLLmtRQBByGiprPlCpsKcu4RCDo5CwA0y VuU5w15ZYXSIWvVRcZgkhGbdM2TlY4uFTjUr5MIRvrKJUhvxMy9qC+Ffl3uUk00Y5r nKuSTTKtgXhucKfHsWkG1GwjvAW/PRCRKoY7a93zeqSuXkSHfApXPavuMHK81zNwOy MPzbmg47A6+LQ==
--===============3362241917435206851==
 boundary="------------060107040406000603000201"

--------------060107040406000603000201

I've had similar symptoms with a failed 'foot valve'--the little seal
that lets fluid into the MC from the reservoir which should close when
you apply pedal.

Bob

On 10/21/2015 2:02 PM, David Porter wrote:
> Call Tim or Martin at Power Brake in CA 408-292-01305 helpful folks..
> Dave
> GT6+
>
> On 10/21/2015 2:39 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> In my experience the Girling servo units can be very difficult to
>> rebuild satisfactorily.
>> The symptoms that you describe are however more indicative of air in
>> the system than those typical of servo difficulties.
>> If the servo is not working properly the typical symptoms are no
>> servo action at all or brakes dragging and/or locking on.
>> To check the servo action pump the brake pedal several times with the
>> engine not running then,  with pressure on the brake pedal, start the
>> engine and the pedal should drop a little as manifold vacuum is
>> established. If the pedal drops the servo is working.
>> The other problem is evident when you drive the car.. First the brake
>> pedal will become quite "hard" and there will be no "free play" at
>> the top of its stroke next the brakes will get very hot and
>> eventually the car will stop moving because the brakes are locked on..
>> The usual cause of that problem is the failure of the large piston
>> within the servo unit to return fully to its rest position when the
>> brakes are released. That is where the "thinner sponge" thing comes
>> in. The correct solution is to have the inside of the servo "chest"
>> re-coated with a special slippery coating. There should be more
>> information on that way back in the archives.
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Michael S
>> BN1 #174
>> (4 wheel drum brakes ..no servo)
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM, R. Cobb <rcobb@earthlink.net
>>
>>     Unit was rebuilt using kit from Moss.
>>
>>     Symptoms, following bleeding hydraulic brake system (no
>>     differences noted whether car running or not): On first try of
>>     brakes, nearly no braking, with pedal going almost to floor.
>>
>>     Second try, sometimes a release is felt in the pedal (with an
>>     associated, slight "pop" sound) with a bit more braking and less
>>     travel of pedal.  By the third try, the pedal travel seems more
>>     normal, and the braking is improved, though not up to the level
>>     expected.
>>
>>     The above pattern has been replicated numerous times, with the
>>     thinking that perhaps if something were binding, it would
>>     work-in. No such luck.
>>
>>     Any thoughts?
>>
>>     I recall that some months ago a contributor mentioned having had
>>     to install a thinner sponge rubber ring for under the piston
>>     seal...because of binding(?).  Could this be the issue?  Would
>>     this result in the behavior I'm experiencing?
>>
>>     Thanks in advance.
>>
>>     Bob
>>

>> --
>> /If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem./

> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
> [...]

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I've had similar symptoms with a failed 'foot valve'--the little
    seal that lets fluid into the MC from the reservoir which should
    close when you apply pedal.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
        http-equiv="Content-Type">
      Call Tim or Martin at Power Brake in CA 408-292-01305 helpful
      folks..<br>
      Dave<br>
      GT6+<br>
        wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LK8cse-n7RR8SqyXSwFj3WzE3th4YiJoOmNw_eG592Giw@mail.gmail.com"
        type="cite">
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Bob,<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">In my experience the Girling
            servo units can be very difficult to rebuild satisfactorily.
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The symptoms that you
            describe are however more indicative of air in the system
            than those typical of servo difficulties. <br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">If the servo is not working
            properly the typical symptoms are no servo action at all or
            brakes dragging and/or locking on.<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">To check the servo action
            pump the brake pedal several times with the engine not
            running then,  with pressure on the brake pedal, start the
            engine and the pedal should drop a little as manifold vacuum
            is established. If the pedal drops the servo is working.<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The other problem is evident
            when you drive the car.. First the brake pedal will become
            quite "hard" and there will be no "free play" at the top of
            its stroke next the brakes will get very hot and eventually
            the car will stop moving because the brakes are locked on..<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The usual cause of that
            problem is the failure of the large piston within the servo
            unit to return fully to its rest position when the brakes
            are released. That is where the "thinner sponge" thing comes
            in. The correct solution is to have the inside of the servo
            "chest" re-coated with a special slippery coating. There
            should be more information on that way back in the archives.<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hope that helps,<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174 <br>
            (4 wheel drum brakes ..no servo)<br>
            ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
            Cobb <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:rcobb@earthlink.net";
target="_blank">rcobb@earthlink.net</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Unit was
              rebuilt using kit from Moss.<br>
              Symptoms, following bleeding hydraulic brake system (no
              differences noted whether car running or not): On first
              try of brakes, nearly no braking, with pedal going almost
              to floor.<br>
              Second try, sometimes a release is felt in the pedal (with
              an associated, slight "pop" sound) with a bit more braking
              and less travel of pedal.  By the third try, the pedal
              travel seems more normal, and the braking is improved,
              though not up to the level expected.<br>
              The above pattern has been replicated numerous times, with
              the thinking that perhaps if something were binding, it
              would work-in. No such luck.<br>
              Any thoughts?<br>
              I recall that some months ago a contributor mentioned
              having had to install a thinner sponge rubber ring for
              under the piston seal...because of binding(?).  Could this
              be the issue?  Would this result in the behavior I'm
              experiencing?<br>
              Thanks in advance.<br>
              Bob<br>
              Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel="noreferrer"
                target="_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
              Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/archive"; rel="noreferrer"
                target="_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
              Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/forums"; rel="noreferrer"
                target="_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
              <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";
target="_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
              <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
              Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com";
                rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com</a><br>
          -- <br>
                        style="color:black">If you can't fix it with a
                        hammer, you've got an electrical
        <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque,
        NM 87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world <a
          moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
          href="http://www.porterbikes.com/";><a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"