Re: [Healeys] Weber air question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Weber air question
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:09:15 +0100
--===============6542201116753773148==
 boundary="------------030401070203040006090901"

--------------030401070203040006090901

The length of the ram pipes does not really alter the amount or velocity
of air going in, however it is likely that you have a bit more torque
lower down in the rev. scale. The short pipes are for high revs mainly.
Has to do with pulse frequencies and corresponding optimal revs, compare
it with organ pipes.
There will be a difference in the air resistance between the short ram
pipes with gauze filters and the longer ram pipes with proper air
filters depending on the construction and surface area of the gauze
filters and the size and construction of the "proper" air filters. You
also need sufficient depth of the air filters to allow enough clearance
between the ram pipes and the filter top to let the air flowing in. This
should be at least about 1,5", preferably more.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 29-12-2015 om 11:31 schreef Simon Lachlan:

> Hi again,
>
> I?ve got 3 Weber 45s on my 3000.
>
> I?ve just had the whole issue out and onto the floor....the three
> carbs, inlet manifolds and the entire exhaust system. I was thus able
> to replace the core plugs on that side and ? the real point of the
> exercise ? have the necessary surgery done that permits proper ram
> pipes and decent sized air filters to be fitted.
>
> OK, so the surgery?s done. A very neat job. And everything is back on
> the engine.
>
> I had very short ram pipes on before and silly little gauze/wire
> filters that pushed on over the pipes? trumpet mouths. They?d have
> stopped rabbits getting in but wouldn?t have much use for anything
> else.....
>
> I didn?t touch any of the carbs? settings nor did I mess with any of
> the linkage lengths.
>
> So, she still starts first time but the responses are very different.
> It?s got to be because the amount of air is radically(?) different???
> I don?t want to go back to the rolling road unless I have to.
>
> A couple of questions......
>
> 1)Going from the minimum ram pipe to something around 60mm gives
> faster air and that means more air.....correct?
>
> 2)Is it safe to assume that more air weakens the mixture and that I
> must enrichen it (Give it more fuel)????
>
> 3)Also, in the great scheme of things, the readjustments will all be
> fairly minimal? Just the turn of the screw!! Not likely to necessitate
> swapping around with emulsion tubes etcetc???
>
> I?ve managed my Webers so far by having them setup properly and
> leaving them alone thereafter. (Until the surgery). I?ve not really
> grasped their intricacies on an intellectual(?) level so far, more on
> a purely mechanical level. I can do the brute force but anything more
> than the ignorance eludes me where Webers are concerned. (All those
> interchangeable bits of brass.....)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2016.0.7294 / Virusdatabase: 4489/11277 - datum van uitgifte:
> 12/29/15

--------------030401070203040006090901

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      really alter the amount or velocity of air going in, however it is
      likely that you have a bit more torque lower down in the rev.
      scale. The short pipes are for high revs mainly. Has to do with
      pulse frequencies and corresponding optimal revs, compare it with
      organ pipes.<br>
      There will be a difference in the air resistance between the short
      ram pipes with gauze filters and the longer ram pipes with proper
      air filters depending on the construction and surface area of the
      gauze filters and the size and construction of the "proper" air
      filters. You also need sufficient depth of the air filters to
      allow enough clearance between the ram pipes and the filter top to
      let the air flowing in. This should be at least about 1,5",
      preferably more.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 29-12-2015 om 11:31 schreef Simon Lachlan:<br>
      cite="mid:007401d14224$215094c0$63f1be40$@lachlan@homecall.co.uk"
      type="cite">
        charset=us-ascii">
        medium)">
          the floor....the three carbs, inlet manifolds and the entire
          exhaust system. I was thus able to replace the core plugs on
          that side and ? the real point of the exercise ? have the
          necessary surgery done that permits proper ram pipes and
          decent sized air filters to be fitted. </p>
          And everything is back on the engine.</p>
          silly little gauze/wire filters that pushed on over the pipes?
          trumpet mouths. They?d have stopped rabbits getting in but
          wouldn?t have much use for anything else.....</p>
          nor did I mess with any of the linkage lengths.</p>
          amount of air is radically(?) different??? I don?t want to go
          back to the rolling road unless I have to.</p>
          from the minimum ram pipe to something around 60mm gives
          faster air and that means more air.....correct?</p>
          it safe to assume that more air weakens the mixture and that I
          must enrichen it (Give it more fuel)????</p>
          in the great scheme of things, the readjustments will all be
          fairly minimal? Just the turn of the screw!! Not likely to
          necessitate swapping around with emulsion tubes etcetc???</p>
          them setup properly and leaving them alone thereafter. (Until
          the surgery). I?ve not really grasped their intricacies on an
          intellectual(?) level so far, more on a purely mechanical
          level. I can do the brute force but anything more than the
          ignorance eludes me where Webers are concerned. (All those
          interchangeable bits of brass.....)</p>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        charset=us-ascii">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2016.0.7294 / Virusdatabase: 4489/11277 - datum van
        uitgifte: 12/29/15</p>

--------------030401070203040006090901--