Re: [Healeys] fuel in Brake Booster

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] fuel in Brake Booster
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:58:47 -0800
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.5.0 s=q20140121; t=1451523523; bh=1aA1GkpYGksWjF/tahYJvx+EMpNFQIZVH2OqcoamwrI=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=RB4UPQ3zDeuiJv832f6g3OL+6Tpuekryr33PkFCrqKdUBH1/lDHDLQf/TnlQBjzub GdyDj3vdzFOdz2c7zRZ7L2xbdDQYLFcsu/QPd03AH2BxMYSS15sTKToVX6DIL7lr4v cn4Ote2WkM9mrAOiyfCwBrtY4IExyCDjAcHmdmI4au0fHCYTansYsGy13r9gxUWr6d zBJg4NqLjMi3Ae+aLZcErpZb9RkEKfyGquzqYkZP+K9RPCS1jviy8bJDEtQ50/Orlo I4yhNQ2iVhQ9EOdkp+hO3mtGadQ/U4Q46ZNwvd/4Sz04jRpE9JpTt3LrJ+ppuJlWzp sM9XAiXwdtVbg==
Price,

I'm having trouble following your description because:

1) there should not be a 'vacuum hose' going into the stock air
filters.  That is actually a (slight) pressure hose for venting
crankcase fumes back into the induction system for combustion

2) there IS a vacuum hose from the brake servo--with a check valve at
the servo or possibly fitted inline in the hose--and it should never be
installed anywhere but on the nipple on the intake manifold

3) if you want to run a vacuum line from the crankcase to the intake
manifold you need to install a PCV valve inline

Anyway, the only possible way to get fuel in the servo is from the
intake system downstream of the carburettors; if 2 cylinders were
not/mis-firing that unburned fuel would end up in the crankcase and oil
(and possibly some evaporated back into the induction system). So, yes,
some fuel could get into the servo via the vacuum line on the manifold,
but if it was more than a trace your engine would likely be flooded out.

I'm not sure what the servo rebuilder was talking about (unless you
talked to the tech that did the rebuild he could have been blowing
smoke).  There is no 'baffle' in the servo; the large air/vacuum piston
has a rubber/leather seal around the perimeter, and this can get brittle
contributing to poor operation of the servo.  The typical failure
mechanism--the one resulting in brake fluid being drawn into the
air/vacuum cylinder--is the aging and embrittlement of the 'gland seal,'
a small, circular rubber seal that seals the shaft of the air/vacuum
piston; on one side is manifold vacuum and on the other is the brake
fluid in the servo's 'master' cylinder.

If all your hoses, etc. are connected properly to their proper locations
I would not worry about getting fuel in the rebuilt servo.

Bob